Tuesday, July 15, 2014

What I'm Reading: July

I don't know if this rings true for any of you, but it is absolutely impossible for me to stick to reading one book at a time. I'm always finding new titles to get excited about, so I'm always working on three (or five, or twelve) different books. Here are the headliners of what I'm reading this month -- check them out! 

ONE // Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Safran Foer
JSF, in case you haven't read anything of his, has one of the best (and most natural-sounding) writing voices of all time. He's a new-ish favorite of mine, and this book is phenomenal. It reads really quickly, and he uses a lot of experimental techniques in the book. It's impossible not to love him. This is a truth universally acknowledged. 




TWO // Light in August, William Faulkner
You'll probably be hearing a lot about Faulkner from me in the next few months -- I'm taking a seminar that's exclusively focused on his work. To prep myself for all that southern diction, I'm reading his Light in August. Though it's a bit slow (and yes, at times, hard to read), I really appreciate his repetitive, cyclical style and the complexity with which he writes about the south. Definitely a good fit if you like literature about the south, or 19th c. lit in general. 


THREE // The Architecture of Happiness, Alain de Botton
(500) Days of Summer is my all-time favorite movie, so when I was browsing through the aisles at my work (and yes, in case you were wondering, I am one of those English majors who works at a bookstore) and came across the book that Tom Hansen bought for Summer Finn when he was trying to win her back (sorry, spoilers) -- cue sad Regina Spektor music. Anyway, it's just as good as cute little JGL promised it would be. #TomHansenIsMySpiritAnimal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...