Sunday, July 13, 2014

Life in Order: My Desk


Although I so, so wish that I was a minimalist, I never have been and never will be. It's just not who I am. That doesn't mean that I can't keep all my [sometimes unnecessary] junk in order. 

Case and point: my desk. It may look a little messy, sure, but it's an honest portrayal. This is how my desk always looks -- well, on all the good days, at least. I'm a writer, what can I say? I need my materials all out where I can see them. (P.S. I'm kind of obsessed with these kinds of posts, so I figured I'd give back and try one myself.)

Let's break this down from left to right. 

ONE // Calendars

My dry erase calendar (old, similar here) and Lilly Pulitzer planner (last year's) are essential life staples. I would probably be lost without them. The same things pretty much go in both -- I only really use the monthly sections in my Lilly planner right now, since I got a new Moleskine planner for the coming school year (more on that in this post), but it helps to be able to flip back and forth, especially as I'm trying to pin down my beach plans for August (!!!!!). 

TWO // Laptop (Wallpaper)

Pretty self-explanatory -- your typical, everyday 13" Macbook Pro. As for my wallpaper, it's a custom monogram I made for free on the Mark and Graham website. Go DIY it, it's easy and super cute! A good, minimalist wallpaper is hard to find. 

     

THREE // Organizers

Okay, I know, that's a pretty generous title for an upcycled coffee mug and a file box, but they really do serve their purpose. The coffee mug (old, probably thrift store) holds all of my pens, pencils, and highlighters -- necessary -- and the file holder (Marshall's, a few years ago) holds, well, everything else. There's a flash drive, a ton of bookmarks, my stapler, a flashlight, an old New Yorker I've been meaning to read, and a bunch of printed stories I've been assigned for my fiction writing classes. I know, I know, not exactly the model for Good Housekeeping, but this is about as organized as my desk gets. Writers give their desks a lot more love than your typical college student, and that shows up in the wear (and, erm, mess) of it all. 



FOUR // The Nook Color + Notebooks

First, my Nook Color, which is fun... but most of the time, I prefer real books. My notebooks (and the planner is under there, too) are all Moleskine, and  I wouldn't have it any other way. They're good for everything - from top to bottom, there's my church notebook, my writing notebook, and my 18-month planner. I love love love them all. Definitely worth the splurge.






































FIVE // Writers List

In case you were wondering about that random piece of paper on my map (which is of NYC... #dreams), it's a list of recommended writers that my major advisor put together for all the writers in my class. She said we should all try to read as many of them as we can over the summer, so we can speak a common language about each other's writing styles. I may be super nerdy, but I absolutely love that. 
If you have any questions about the writers on this list, or want my personal recommendations (or have anything at all to say), leave a comment in the box below! :)

-A

1 comment:

  1. The dry erase board looks like such a great idea , I think I may have to invest in one for next school year :)

    Rebecca Elizabeth
    xox
    EnglishPrepster

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...